Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Trip Dates (2 May-27 July) + TODO List

The vacation dates for my TransAm cycle trip have now been agreed upon with my boss at the Vrije Universiteit: 1 May - 28 July. Since 1 May and 28 July will be occupied with airplane flights (and logistics of getting to the start/finish points), that means I will be cycling from 2 May to 27 July.

That would give me 87 days (almost 3 months) to cycle the 4,262 miles.. which is 49 miles (79 km) per day on average. That should be doable! (Although the 87 days naturally includes rest days.. so some days will be longer than others.)

There are lots of things that I'll need to think about in the upcoming week(s). This includes:

- A training schedule
- Selection of a bicycle + camping gear
- Planning my route
- Learning bicycle repair
- Booking an airplane ticket
- Creating a mobile computing setup
- Selecting other equipment to bring

Can anyone think of anything that I've forgotten?

Also.. here's a link to the cycle route that I plan to ride:
http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/transamerica.cfm

Cheers!
Melanie

4 comments:

  1. Light weight tool for bike repair...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, sounds like quite a trip. Too bad you're not cycling through Ohio. I look forward to reading about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool that you're following the blog, Evan! :-)

    Illinois is indeed as close as I'm gonna come..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Melanie, it's Sandy from the Fort Stevens campsite... just checking to see how your journey is going. Looking forward to some posts! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete